If getting tough on the bad guys is creating terrorists, then so be it … but using the lefty logic of the day … why yes he is, if we apply the GITMO standard. Hat Tip to Steve for pointing this one out. Read more
Hmmm. Maybe we could start with not reading them their rights. Recognizing they are Islamic Jihadis out to destroy the country. Maybe we could return to enemy combatants, rather than change Miranda. Maybe.
Then again, when you’ve told the world you intend to capture and try these folks in a civilian court under the protections afforded in the US Constitution in order to show the world that we are something that I am not quite sure what we’re supposed to be showing, and then you discover that the old cops and robbers routine doesn’t protect us in war, you have to find a way to stay within the parameters you have set up for yourself and still extract info for the jihadis. The result, let’s a rule that let’s us extract any info we can from them and still use it in a court of law before we use Miranda. Huh?
To combat the changing landscape of the war, both the administration and Congress are considering changes to the law to better address potential plots inside and against the United States.
Holder, whose Justice Department has taken criticism for reading rights to terror suspects like Shahzad and alleged Christmas Day bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, revealed Sunday that the administration plans to work with Congress to propose possible changes to Miranda rights.
“This is in fact big news,” Holder said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “It is a new priority.”
Sounds to me like the Mirandizing thing isn’t exactly working the way they had hoped. Sound to me like maybe, just maybe, Bush was right after all? I’m just saying is all.
As noted yesterday by Jim, many organizations and bloggers have been demanding transparency from the Executive Branch concerning Justice Department lawyers, hired by Attorney General Eric Holder and predecessors, who have represented terrorists in civil or military courtrooms. Fox News now has the list.
We tackled this subject a week ago, with people like Andy McCarthy and Michelle Malkin among the few who have tried to apply pressure to Justice to release the names of the 7 (2 names have already been released) of the attorneys at Justice who previously had volunteered their services to al-Qaeda detainees. Now Liz Cheney’s group, Keep America Safe, has joined the battle with this ad.
Update (Steve): Fox News digs a bit and lists the Gitmo 9 … additional information and analysis here.
If you are unfamiliar with the GITMO 9, Former Chief Andy McCarthy hard a particular hard hitting post at the corner, raising the possibility that there might be more than 9.
I suspect the number of conflicted lawyers is actually higher than nine since Holder’s disclosure pointed only to DOJ lawyers who worked on detainee cases — rather than including lawyers, like Holder himself, whose firms represented terrorists even if they were not directly involved in those cases. Some lawyers in the latter category, like Holder, were in very senior positions at their firms and could have stopped or sharply limited decisions to volunteer services to the detainees; some probably were not. Holder’s personal leanings are obvious from his 2008 speech, in which he accused the United States of torture, denying habeas corpus to hundreds of enemy combatants, and being a serial violator of international law and the Constitution — but according to him,I am the polemicist.
Even though Andy addressed this last week on the show, you should read the whole thing. It’s stunning.
Plus, for more background, Michelle is a leader on this issue. Check here to watch The KSM Confession. And read here on the stonewalling. And then read here for how the GITMO 9 were finally uncovered. And remember … it’s been Andy, Michelle, and a few other blogs and our radio show that have trying to bring this into the sunshine.
Jim Geraghty brings this to our attention, regarding the trial of KSM in New York.
[The AG] should refrain from calling his upcoming legal proceeding “the trial of the century,” since the last “trial of the century” ended in an acquittal.
He is of course paraphrasing Charles Krauthammer who always nails it.
Debra Burlingame, sister of Chic Burlingame, pilot of AA Flight 77 that was crashed into the Pentagon, wants the world to know she is not happy with President Obama’s and AG Eric Holder’s decision to try the 9-11 terrorists, including KSM, in Federal Court in New York. She’s has formed the 9-11 “Never Forget” coalition, and making arrangements for a nationwide protest on December 5.
The Coalition formed to fight the decision of President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder to try the 9/11 co-conspirators in New York City’s federal court, effectively giving war criminals the same rights as American citizens while endangering the safety of all New Yorkers. Two weeks ago, we sent a letter signed by 300 family members of 9/11 victims to the President, Attorney General and Defense Secretary Robert Gates asking them to reverse course. The letter has now been signed by over 120,000 Americans and is posted at http://www.keepamericasafe.com.
The most interesting part of today’s press conference is how describes what happened after she and her supporters sent a letter to the President urging him not to move the trial of these murderers to New York.
If you want to sign the petition, click the link above.
Added by Steve… Details on the rally schedule for Dec. 5.
December 5 Rally Against NYC Terror Trial
New Yorkers to Attorney General Holder – We will fight you all the way!
Dec. 5 at noon ET – Foley Square in Manhattan
The 9/11 Never Forget Coalition, a diverse group of 9/11 victims, family members, first responders, active and reserve members of the military, veterans, and concerned Americans, is holding December 5th rally protesting the plan to bring the 9/11 terrorist conspirators to trial in New York City.
The Coalition formed to fight the decision of President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder to try the 9/11 co-conspirators in New York City’s federal court, effectively giving war criminals the same rights as American citizens while endangering the safety of all New Yorkers.
Two weeks ago, we sent a letter signed by 300 family members of 9/11 victims to the President, Attorney General and Defense Secretary Robert Gates asking them to reverse course. The letter has now been signed by over 120,000 Americans and is posted at http://www.keepamericasafe.com.
Debra Burlingame, founder of 911 Families for a Safe and Strong America, said “Our rally on Saturday, December 5 will tell Attorney General Eric Holder, President Barack Obama and their supporters in Congress: We will fight you all the way! ”
From Hot Air. It needs no comment from me other than we have an Attorney General being put in a position to spin the case for a trial unnecessary and one that puts this nation in danger.
AP at Hot Air writes:
The real worry in a district-court trial isn’t what’ll happen to archterrorists like Osama or KSM, whose perpetual detention is assured; the worry is that those trials will establish precedents that’ll be exploited by lesser jihadis at their own trials later on. KSM won’t be released because the political consequences to the administration are too dire, but what about some other terrorist who’s less well known to the public and whose guilt, while certain to the CIA, is less provable under normal evidentiary rules? A confession in a case like that might be critical — but what if he wasn’t Mirandized before he confessed? What then? That’s Graham’s point, and Holder seems to want nothing to do with it.
Gov. David Paterson (D-N.Y.) is not at all on board with Attorney General Eric Holder’s decision to have five Sept. 11 planners brought to New York City for a civilian criminal trial. Supposedly Holder made the decision, and he informed President Obama. Why is Paterson saying the White House warned him this was coming six months ago?
That just about sums it up. Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells Neil Cavuto that moving KSM and his other 9-11 buddies to New York for trial is an unnecessary risk and for that reason he does not hold back. Read more
I’m linking to a couple of other blogs concerning the document dump and the attorney general’s announcement that an independent investigator will be looking into alleged criminal activities during the interrogation of terrorists.