I finally got to watch a portion of President Obama’s town hall meeting on CNBC. Specifically, I was wondering how he answered the question from the woman who was tired of defending the One and was wondering if the current economy – and her situation in particular – was going to be the new normal.
Well, I think I did OK guessing what the president’s answers would be. Skip forward to about 10 minutes to see the woman’s question and the full answer – in context – from Obama.
My guess concerning President Obama’s answers…
- The previous administration put us in a bad situation and it’s going to take some more time to fix it. (It’s Bush’s fault)
- We need to do more for small business and the middle class — like her — by stimulating economic growth.
- But we already have done a lot of things for the middle class … health care for those with pre-existing conditions, providing family coverage including kids that are 25 years old.
- And don’t forget the financial reform … you won’t be screwed by those mortgage companies anymore!
Although he certainly did hit on all four during the town hall, his specific answers concerning this woman’s concerns included…
- The federal government took over the student loan market, cutting out the middle man. Of course, no savings yet, and you tell me … what’s going to happen to college tuition for this woman’s two daughters? Sure doesn’t help this woman now.
- Financial reform. I hit that one. Did nothing for this woman at all, she does not even have a credit card.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions. I hit that one too. Again, does nothing for this woman.
So I got two out of three. Not bad for a complete amateur. I really should have been able to hit the student loan takeover and left out the small business stuff since this lady is not involved with that part of the economy, but I was moving pretty fast…
All in all, the president sat there and told this woman they really did make things better for her during the past 18 months. She obviously did not agree.