Just like many American families, the State of Connecticut is battling a budget problem. You see, revenues are down and expenses are up. Unlike the government, families just can’t raise their fees to generate income.
Since increasing taxes has resulted in Tea Parties all over the country (bad karma for politicans), Governor M. Jodi Rell (R) has suggested increased fees across the board. For those of you new to the process, that is just another way to increase taxes. Details are available in the Governor’s Bill 837.
So, what fees do you increase?
- Notary Public fees will be double or triple. The application fee alone is going from $60 to $120.
- Need birth certificate information? Those fees double too.
- Are you a nurse? Your fee just went from $100 to $200 per year. (Advanced practice RN fees go from $120 to $240 per year) We need more nurses, so it makes total sense to double their fees…
- Looking to apply or renew your pistol permit? The fee will double from $70 to $140.
- Are you a teacher looking for a certificate from the State Board of Education? Fees double from $100 to $200.
- Is your town planning a public swimming pool? The commissioner of Public Health has to review the plans and charges you $600 – nope, now $675.
Fees are also going up for licensed day care providers, retail establishments who sell cigarettes, bingo establishments, changes to birth certificates, dentists, optometrists, funeral operations, youth camps, nursing home inspections, athletic trainers, physical therapists, and more – lots more!
In general, fees that were under $200 seem to have doubled or tripled and higher fees have gone up as well.
By the way, did you know that if you work in a horse stable and are an exercise boy, groom, stable foreman, hot walker, or outrider – whatever that is – your license fee went from $10 to $15?
Ridiculous! What kind of fee increases are planned in your town or state? Let us know in the comments below.
Hat tip to reader Carolyn B who let us know about the RN fees. It is important to note that the special interest lobby (God forbid) has brought many of these fee changes to light – not the media. My guess is Carolyn B was notified about the increases by an organization that represents her interests – one of those awful special interest lobbies.