Unbelievable talking points from Democrats on Etheridge attack
This is totally rich. The Democrats are saying this is all a nefarious Republican plot to sting Rep. Bob Etheridge (D-N.C.). It’s not legitimate … gotcha politics … inciting a reaction … partisan hit-job … attack anything Breitbart does.
This is crazy! (Check out how Etheridge believes young adults should get more involved with politics – via Hot Air.)
A national Democratic Party official e-mailed around a set of talking points about an hour ago, under the subject heading, “Etheridge Gotcha Video Background.
- There is always the part of the story that you can’t see in these gotcha style videos — what were these folks doing, how did they approach him, how were the cameraman and/or others off camera acting?
- Why would any legitimate student doing a project or a journalist shagging a story not identify themselves. Motives matter — what was the motivation here? To incite this very type of reaction?
- This is clearly the work of the Republican Party and the “interviewer” is clearly a low level staffer or intern. That’s what explains blurring the face of the “interviewer” and refusing to identify the entity this was done for. The Republicans know if they were caught engaging in this type of gotcha tactic it would undermine their own credibility — yet if it was an individual acting on his own there is no reason that person would have blurred themselves out of the video — and if it was the work of a right wing blog they would have their logo on the video and be shouting their involvement from the roof top.
- This was a purposefully partisan hit job designed to incite a reaction for political reasons — but it is a tactic so low — the parties involved are remaining anonymous.
- The fact that no one wants to take credit for this should raise real questions in the minds of voters and the press.
- Push hard w/ blogs the lack of credibility inherent to anything Breitbart does/posts, given its role in the debunked ACORN videos: [here and here]
Etheridge needs to go home right now, today.
This story will not go away, and the DNC – if the talking points released are real – just made another political blunder. As a reminder, Etheridge already has apologized – sort of.
So which is it? A nefarious plot by the GOP to use young college Republicans who were may have been paid cash by Andrew Breitbart to sting Etheridge, or is Etheridge just another Democrat who was having a bad day and totally lost control?
Can’t be both.
Exit Question: If this was a female student and Etheridge grabbed the teen or 20-something girl like this, what would the reaction be?
Update: Oh my. David Weigel at The Washington Posts suggests it was a hug. Is he kidding? It looked like Etheridge was about to headbutt him when he grabbed the back of the kids neck!
The website's content and articles were migrated to a new framework in October 2023. You may see [shortcodes in brackets] that do not make any sense. Please ignore that stuff. We may fix it at some point, but we do not have the time now.
You'll also note comments migrated over may have misplaced question marks and missing spaces. All comments were migrated, but trackbacks may not show.
The site is not broken.