The “Birthers” get a big push from … Chris Matthews? UPDATE: More Matthews UPDATE 2: I believe

OK … that’s just a cheap headline to get views … I think. Matthews spent his entire first segment with Clarence Page and David Corn discussing the recent push by Hawaii’s new Democrat Governor to finally get the young President’s long form birth certificate into the public domain. The idea is to end the controversy … and Matthews likes it? Yikes!

It is a little bit stunning. A poll in the NYT in April showed that 42% of the American public were not convinced Obama was born in the USA, with due respect to “The Boss”. Adding to the controversy is a story that the Governor of Hawaii wants the into out too. True.

“The president is entitled to the respect of his office and he’s entitled to have his mother and father respected.”

Well, that’s all Matthews needed to hear and he was off ands running.

By the end of the segment all three had agreed Governor Abercrombie was doing the right thing. I must admit, I sat there stunned as I watched this. But … OK … my little “Hostage Takers” … you are off and running. With Matthews on your side … how can it fail? Take the poll.

Big H/T to HotAir for pointing out the need to post on this. I originally had dismissed it as cheap holiday filler for a low rated cable show. My bad.

UPDATE: Here’s a little more forceful Matthews from the same conversation. For your viewing pleasure.

UPDATE 2: it’s not fair for me to ask you what you believe and not tell you where I stand. I believe …. the young President is an American and eligible to be President. I am not a birther. He was born in Hawaii. I reserve the right to change my mind if proven incorrect, however. Heh.

1. BEA
    BEA says:

Jim, I'm not a "birther", but I voted No because of the choices available. I'm not sure, but I actually do care. It doesn't consume me, but it does matter to me…I want people to follow the rules!! I want to have faith in the democratic process.

Never fully addressing this issue just made it seem like something was trying to be covered up. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with CM…just put it out there and put an end to this foolishness.

Earl…that's ridiculous…it's not his skin color! It's character, it's the truth, it's the direction that this country is taking!! How can we trust anything if it's based on possible lies and deceit!!

2. Anne-EH
    Anne-EH says:

Could this issue of President Barak Obama's birth certificate be because if the conservative GOPers get elected in 2012 to USA Senate and the White House, could there be future calls for an investagation into President Obama's bc?

3. arenka
    arenka says:

This whole presidency seems to be the work of a magician….illusion, deception!  Perhaps it's our own fault, we let someone run without the proper credentials, then voted him in!    Even UTC wouldn't have hired him with his track record…….if he had nothing to hide, there'd be no problem.

4. Jim Cook
    Jim Cook says:

I wonder why Chris  Matthews is only now talking about Obama's birth certificate. Perhaps it is because  Matthews knows that the new birth papers have come from the printers and hve been aged enough so they look old.

I predict that all of a sudden they will announce that they have found the long lost birth certificate.

5. GdavidH
    GdavidH says:

This story fits in well with yesterdays post about his smarts. Not only does the emperor have no clothes….he doesn't have a birth certificate either.

6. PatRiot
    PatRiot says:

I always thought it was funny that no one proved the "birthers" wrong from the start.  I have no problem with "Trust but verify".

And now this about respect for his office and parents.  Doesn't this sound like "Don't use his middle name."?

What makes this President different than any other in providing a birth cert.? A virgin birth perhaps?  Wouldn't that add to the mystique of the "One"?

Was this the start of a disturbing pattern?  Just elect him, then we can find out if he's qualified.

Bwa ha ha.

7. ctyank20
    ctyank20 says:

I think Obama probably was born in the US. A Hawaii official certified it verbably. I think maybe Obama doesn;t want the birth certificate to be made public because his mother was not legaly married to his father. There was some information that his father was married before and never got a divorce. This may not be true but Obama is certainly hiding something.

8. mynoc3
    mynoc3 says:

I agree with ctyank20.  I think he was born in the U.S., but likely there is something that is being hidden about the records.  At this point, anything they release is going to be suspect unless they allow those from the skeptic side to look it over.  I just don't see them doing that.

9. BrianforPeace
    BrianforPeace says:

Obama lied while campaigning about everything from posting bills prior to congressional voting to abolishing earmarks. Concerning ourselves more with his lack of integrity and experience to me trumps the significance of his birthplace. A street activist in metro Chicago working for ACORN and mentored by Reverend Wright, we should wonder whether his convictions on anything extend beyond the idealistic socialism he intellectually sought out from the start. Born in the USA? Probably Not.

10. davidfarrar
    davidfarrar says:

If Obama's vaulted, long-form, physician signed and notarized Certificate of Live Birth is produced now, unless it is duly authenticated by an impartial committee of at least three forensic document experts, it will not ne accepted.

ex animo

davidfarrar

ex animo

davidfarrar

11. JollyRoger
    JollyRoger says:

So "birthers" are stupid- but the "what did he know and when did he know it" crowd are just seeking truth?

Sammy22, This will probably be the only time we agree. This is a distraction… Don't lose focus! He is elected and served 2 years. NOW, defund and overturn everything this ridiculous Congress did.

13. Odonna
    Odonna says:

As one of the callers said, where he was born isn't as important as that his mother was a citizen at the time of his birth.

A question I've heard raised is what happened to his mother's and Barack's citizenship when they moved to Indonesia?  I heard they became Indonesian citizens and then never restored their US citizenship when they came back to the US.  I'm more interested in this question, whether it has any validity or not.

14. winnie888
    winnie888 says:

Jim, I stand by my poll vote today that I wanna see the long form birth cert.   My instincts are usually spot on, and this guy is just sketchy.  Don't know what it is, but he doesn't inspire hope in me, I don't trust him, & I'm quite convinced that he does not have our country's best interests at heart. "I reserve the right to change my mind if proven incorrect, however. Heh."  lol

15. Tim-in-Alabama
    Tim-in-Alabama says:

Many of us long have thought Matthews is a kook. Since he wants Obama to produce his birth certificate, he now fits the left's definition of a kook.