Special thanks to Jim Vicevich for actually watching the full speech by Obama last night. I can’t even watch three minutes. Double thanks for sitting through it all again earlier today and editing down the message so we can get an idea of all the promises.
This is certainly not something new. Both Democrats and Republicans – including Bush 43 – create laundry lists of programs. It’s all about the entitlement agenda and the populist agenda – what can Congress do for you today?
Head over to Radio Vice Online to watch the video. Obama is speaking in Texas and specifically mentions that he supports the free market, understand that the people of Texas are independent and a self-reliant group that does not want government doing what we know we can do for ourselves. Then of course, he goes into the list.
- Reward teachers by giving them more money.
- Raise the minimum wage every year to match inflation.
- Provide a $4,000 tuition credit to those in college.
- Ensure everyone has health insurance as good as his Senate program provides to him.
- Roll back the Bush tax cuts since the rich people didn’t need them.
- Give tax cuts to everyone who makes less than $75,000 per year.
- Seniors who make less than $50,000 should pay no income tax at all.
- Raise fuel efficiency standards to bring down gas prices.
I could barely keep up as I typed out the stuff, and it will not end any time soon. One thing that you’ll note is that his agenda – no matter how well it is delivered – is the exact same agenda that Democrat national candidates have been pushing for decades. There is nothing new here, every single item on the list above comes right from the standard playbook.
Thanks for the new ideas Barak.