Last one out turns off the lights…

… on the Empire State?

Apparently, people don’t love New York, which is entering its second decade of shrinking population.

The population loss is “the ultimate barometer of New York’s attractiveness as a place to work, live and do business,” the report’s co-author, E.J. McMahon, said. “It’s the ultimate indication that we’ve been doing things wrong.”

Most analysts blamed New York’s high taxes and skyrocketing cost of living for the mass exodus.

The Tax Foundation ranked New York highest in the nation in the combined state and local tax burden in 2008. And as small-business lobbyist Mike Durant noted, New York has also “consistently ranked worst or in the top three worst in business climate. You can’t suck every penny out of people and expect them to remain in New York.”

Since 1960, New York has lost 7.3 million residents to other states — a net loss of 2.5 million people after adding in an influx of 4.8 million new immigrants, the study found.

High taxes are, apparently, a goad to drive people away…  Someone please tell Governor Malloy?

1. PatRiot
    PatRiot says:

And CT lawmakers ignore these facts and say – “If our surrounding states have higher tax rates, we should raises ours too.”
    OY !

2. cherwin
    cherwin says:

Connecticut hasn’t got anything to make it attractive to begin with and Malloy has made what little it has look really ugly.
    Let’s see – at least one murder per night in our trashy cities, highest taxes, highest gas prices,? businesses laying off and leaving the state, crime everywhere you go and government representatives that don’t represent most of their citizens. But then again the welfare in CT. is pretty attractive or so it would appear.?
    Yep, then along comes Malloy and makes all this great stuff look even worse. It sucks to be stuck here now because no one is going to want to buy our houses and move here.
    Welcome to Connecticut! If you’re lucky you are just passing through. ??

• essneff
      essneff says:

don’t forget as you try to leave this tax hell,?Governor Mumbles?hits you with a 1% sales tax on the sale of your residence…… but then, its all worth it isn’t it? “shared sacrifice”?

• ricbee
      ricbee says:

?The Courant today wrote that people don’t have enough money to buy houses,but they do have enough sense not to.

3. kanestian
    kanestian says:

cherwin, From a non-native’s observation point, Connecticut actually has much to make it attractive, but with our advancing age and nearly constant income, some of the comments in the NY Post articles coincide with our own observations. ?Places like North and South Carolina are becoming more attractive. ?One businessman observes that his living expenses are about 65% of what they were in New York for him. ?I think Connecticut matches New York on that account.

4. ricbee
    ricbee says:

As I look our Hartford,I see more empty buildings,unoccupied houses,for sale signs & can envision this town as Detroit in a very few years. The USA I have hope for,Hartford only prayers.

David, I would tell Governor Malloy, if I thought it would do any good. However, why waste my breath. I don’t belong to a Union or work for a non-profit. He knows he doesn’t have my vote and never will, so I am no use to him. As for the General Assembly, I hounded them around five years ago and got no where.? So, I will talk to RVO via this blog.

6. Tim-in-Alabama
    Tim-in-Alabama says:

My web surfing has taken me to upstate New York, during an exercise in which I followed U.S. Highway 11, which runs near my house, to its terminus at Rouse Point, NY. There are some beautiful small towns surrounded by vast expanses of forest and farmland in upstate New York along U.S. 11. Upon researching prices, there some great prices on farms and homes throughout the area. However, the property taxes on even some of the modestly priced starter homes are prohibitive. Who can afford several hundred dollars in property taxes in addition to a mortgage payment each month? Maybe a crazy terrorist George Soros funded blog commenter, but not the average person. New York’s governments at all levels are going to have to make major changes if they want to keep their state’s population from going South – literally and figuratively.