So who gets the money from the Porkapalooza … Reason on line … did the homework. Ughhh. Make sure you read it all … but here’s a sample.
1. Billions of dollars in spending exclusively devoted to benefit federal employees.
- $5.5 billion for making federal buildings “green” (including $448 million for the Department of Homeland Security’s headquarters)
- $198 million to design and furnish the DHS headquarters
- $200 million for workplace safety in Department of Agriculture facilities
- $75 million for the Smithsonian Institution
- $300 million more for hybrid and electric cars for federal employees (see below) (oh there’s more)
2. Wasteful spending that is not directly targeted at federal employees:Arguably the best item in the Senate bill is a $1,500 tax credit to anyone that purchases “neighborhood electric vehicles”—also known as golf carts. The total estimated cost of that giveback is $300 million. Purchasers of motorcycles and three-wheelers shouldn’t despair, however, as there are benefits available for them, too. (Oh there’s more)
3. Tax cuts and tax breaks that don’t deliver anything close to real reform.