Class warfare. Socialism. You’re watching it develop and take root all around us. In New York City, where some fast food employees are making minimum wage ($7.25 per hour in New York), some of them are demanding wage rates double to $15 per hour.
Workers at some fast food restaurants in the New York City area walked off the job on Thursday.
A large group gathered outside a McDonald’s on Madison and 40th St. in Manhattan demanding higher wages and the approval of a workers union.
“They’re giving us $7.25 an hour, so many of my co-workers are living on food stamps. You can’t live on that in this city,” a protester told Good Day NY.
The workers who say they don’t make enough to put food on the table for their families would like an increase in their hourly pay to $15.
They would “like” an increase? They don’t make enough to put food on the table? Why pick a completely arbitrary number of $15 per hour? Why not $25 or $50 an hour?
Simple economic talking points to share. If the fast food chain owners greatly increases their payroll costs, what would happen?
- Prices of food would go up.
- Fewer customers would come in to the store to buy food since it is more expensive than they are willing to pay.
- Employee benefits would decrease. Some employees who have a modest health plan would loose all or part of their benefit packages. No more free fries.
- Lower performing employees would be laid off in favor of employees who are more productive during their shift.
- Good managers would leave the company since their salaries would probably have to decrease to cover the higher wages of employees.
- Store owners would sell or close their fast food joint looking for a better return on their investment.
- The value of fast food company stock would lower since profits – if they existed – would be lower.
But at least those complaining would win their argument, and a few of them might be lucky enough to have that prized $15 per hour salary for a week or so. I have to ask if we have a mental disconnect here. Employees asking for a 100% raise? Do they not see the implications? I really think this is the result of 50-plus years of brainwashing as we come closer to the peak of the entitlement society. This is class warfare, pure and simple. Who is John Gault?
Without further adieu, I introduce you to the Jean-Luc Picard Facepalm.