At noon on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 there will be a 2nd Amendment Rally at the Connecticut State Capital. Please read and share this post.
Those of us at RVO are not involved with the organization of this rally, but we figured we needed to let everyone know about it. If you have good information to add, please add it into the comments section.
This is what we have heard. Don’t take any of this as gospel or legal advice. This information is specific to the rally in Hartford, Connecticut … no other state.
- Events are being held at just about every state capital here in the States.
- If you’re going to carry – you can in Connecticut if you have a permit – you may carry openly or concealed. In this case, I’d suggest concealed. But please be smart about what you do.
- There are laws you must follow if you are carrying within the State of Connecticut. You should know them.
- As I understand it, you are not allowed to carry in Bushnell Park (city ordinance).
- You can carry on State Capital grounds where the rally will be held.
- I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring a rifle to the capital. You’ll make it on the news and the message will be lost. (If you feel you need a rifle to protect yourself in an area you are traveling to, you shouldn’t be traveling to that area.)
- There is no need to handle or manipulate firearms in public, even if they are unloaded … and remember, a firearm should always be treated as loaded.
- If you intend to stand out in a crowd, do so with a good sign instead of doing something that will ensure the media will make a big deal out of that something instead of the overall goal.
Be prepared to answer questions.
Yes, the 2nd Amendment was written to ensure a free state and protect us from government tyranny. That said, most people forget history has and will again repeat itself so when you mention that fact, they roll their eyes. Ask them if you can borrow their crystal ball to see what happens 50 to 100 years from now.
Don’t even bother answering the people who ask if you think you should be able to own a rocket launcher or tank. It’s a red herring.
Law enforcement has access to personal defense weapons or patrol rifles with 30-round magazines. Law enforcement usually responds after an event or tragedy carrying patrol rifles. If they need them, why would it be unreasonable for us to need them for self-defense?
Firearm owners and LEOs carry high-capacity magazines not so they can shoot more bullets, but so they can manipulate their weapon less.
Remember, there are two main issues here. Rifles and magazine capacity. Most people say they don’t understand the need for 30-round magazines, but remember they want to ban either 8 rounds and up or 10 rounds and up.
Your Homework for the Rally
Read the following posts before you go on Saturday. Print them out. I honestly believe you will find these posts very valuable during a reasoned discussion.